NEWS & EVENTS
The Purpose Pitch
COMING IN APRIL 2015
FROM MANSFIELD PRESS
FROM MANSFIELD PRESS
Drawing from a range of contemporary poetic traditions, The Purpose Pitch explores the overlap between narrative, pop culture, and the political. These poems are often funny, sometimes harrowing, and always unsettling. Through rants, narrative prose poems, absurdist dialogues, brutal police reports, invented biographies of real people, Google search results, and celebrity-interview mash-ups, Mockler shows us just how Boschian Western culture is in the twenty-first century.
Mansfield Press, Spring Launch, March 23, 2015 - Toronto, ON
If you would like a review copy, contact me here.
- READING: I've been invited back to The Art Bar and will be reading from my new collection THE PURPOSE PITCH, Toronto, ON, Tuesday July, 7, 2015
- RESIDENCY: I'm heading to the Vermont Studio Center in May to work on my screenplay WEAK PEOPLE ARE FUN TO TORMENT and a new poetry book ONE SINGLE CATASTROPHE, May to June 2015
- FESTIVAL: The Edmonton Poetry Festival has invited me to participate in three events, April 19-26, 2015
- FICTION: Found Press has published my short story "Freight," March 3, 2015. This is the short story that my feature film PISS TANK is based on which has placed in a couple of screenplay contests this year (Bluecat, Zoetrope, and Austin Film Festival Screenplay Contest).
- REVIEW: Broken Pencil reviews WHY POETRY SUCKS: AN ANTHOLOGY OF HUMOUS AND EXPERIMENTAL CANADIAN POETRY, March 3, 2015
- SCREENPLAY: Piss Tank, Top 10%, 2015 Bluecat Screenwriting Competition, February 2015
- SCREENPLAY: Piss Tank, 2014 American Zoetrope Screenwriting Contest, Quarterfinalist
- VIDEO SCREENING: THE RELUCTANT NARRATOR, a video series I collaborated on with my husband David Poolman screens in Toronto - Presented by the Regional Support Network: Board and Bread: Moving Image Works from London and Thereabouts, Curated by Christine Negus, Charlie Egleston and Sebastian Di Trolio, February 13, 2015 at 8:00pm, Videofag, Toronto
- PLAY: Enpipe Line Jan. 27 & 28, 2015: Stephen Harper's Pipeline Mania
- POETRY: "A Woman Was Sexually Assaulted: April 30 - May 31, 2014" Advent 2014, Delirious Hem, December 25, 2014
- PLAY: Enpipe Line Dec. 20 & 21, 2014: Let's Play Oil Slick
- FICTION: "Remote Control," Sunday Stories, Vol. 1 Brooklyn, November 30, 2014
- POETRY: "The Dream House," Poetry is Dead: Future, Issue 10, November 2014
- PLAY: Enpipe Line November 12 & 14: A Conspiracy to Harm
- REVIEW: Stephen Osborne reviews The Saddest Place on Earth in Geist
- SCREENPLAY: Piss Tank, Austin Film Festival Screenplay Competition, 2nd Round, 2014
- PLAY: Enpipe Line October 5 & 6, 2014: You Know What's Great?
- POEMS: Why Poetry Sucks: An Anthology of Humorous Experimental Canadian Poetry, Ed. by Jonathan Ball and Ryan Fitzpatrick, Insomniac Press, 2014
- INTERVIEW: Rob McLennan's Blog: 12 or 20:
Kathryn Mockler is a writer, poet, and screenwriter. She is the author of the poetry books The Purpose Pitch (Mansfield Press, "a stuart ross book," Spring 2015), The Saddest Place on Earth (DC Books, 2012), and Onion Man (Tightrope Books, 2011). Her writing has been published in Found Press, Geist, This Magazine, and Vol. 1 Brooklyn. Currently, she is the Toronto editor of Joyland: a hub for short fiction and the publisher of the online literary and arts journal The Rusty Toque. She teaches creative writing at Western University.